Steps to upgrade from QC 10.0 or ALM 11.0 to ALM 11.5x:
1. Check the following page for system requirements of ALM 11.5x: https://hpln.hp.com/page/alm-qc-enterprise-technical-specifications
2. Before the migration, all projects should be deactivated from Site Administration (SA)
Migration of QC 10.0 or ALM 11.0 to ALM 11.5x
1. Backup the projects’ databases/schemas and Site administration database/schema (default name “qcsiteAdmin_db”) from the QC 10.0/ALM 11.0 database server:
a) For SQL server:
i. Document ID KM169526 - How to backup and restore MS SQL database
ii. Document ID KM00880946 - What are the minimum permissions for MS SQL in ALM?
b) For Oracle Server:
i. Document ID KM205839 - How to export and import an Oracle database to dump files
ii. Document ID KM00841486 - What are the minimum permissions for Oracle in ALM
2. Backup the QC 10.0/ALM 11.0 projects’ repositories. The location of the repository for each project can be found at the project properties in the SA.
a) Document ID KM189097 - What needs to be backed up when backing up Quality Center
3. If ALM 11.5x is going to use a new DB server, then the project databases/schemas and the Site administration’s database/schema should be restored on it.
Note: If upgrading ALM, there’s no need to move projects databases/schemas however it is important to take backups.
4. Install ALM11.5x, but note that if the same application server is going to be used, QC 10.0 or ALM 11.0 should be uninstalled first.
ALM has two different databases - the projects databases and the site administration database. In order to keep users, user configurations and site administration parameters when migrating, please ensure that during the installation process the same DB name that was used to restore the project in your DB server is applied. Select “Upgrade a copy” or “Upgrade the existing schema” option during installation.
5. Paste/Restore the repositories in the expected repository location in the new installation
6. Restore the projects:
a) Login to SA and create a new empty project
b) Go to the new empty project’s folder repository and make a copy of the dbid.xml file
c) Remove your projects from the Site Administration (Reason: it has connections to the old database server). Do not delete the project because it will remove the project schema from the database server
d) Go to the project’s folder and rename the existing “dbid.xml” file to “dbidold.xml”
e) Paste a copy of the “dbid.xml” file from the empty new project.
f) Edit the “dbid.xml” to match the new project's environment description as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<PROJECT_NAME>** Put the project name **</PROJECT_NAME>
<DB_NAME>** Put the project schema name **</DB_NAME>
<PHYSICAL_DIRECTORY>** Put the correct path of the repository folder of this project**\</PHYSICAL_DIRECTORY>
PROJECT_NAME: the name of the project, for example: NEW_PROJECT.
DB_NAME: the name shown in the database list, for example: NEW_PROJECT_DB
PHYSICAL_DIRECTORY: by default, this values is: <Drive>:\Program Data\HP\ALM\repository\qc\<Domain_Name>\<Project_Name_Folder>
PROJECT_UID: Keep the same amount of digits and modify the last two values to get a unique ID
PR_SMART_REPOSITORY_ENABLED Please note that this value should be changed from 'Y' to 'N' if upgrading from QC10.0 to ALM11.5x. If upgrading from ALM11.0 the value should not be changed and left to 'Y'.
Note: This step can be skipped if upgrading from existing qcsiteadmin_db as it already contains the project information.
7. From the SA, restore the projects using the “dbid.xml” file edited for all projects.
8. Verify, repair and upgrade projects:
a) Right click on it and select “Maintain Project”
b) Select "Verify Project"
c) After verification finishes, if necessary select "Repair Project"
d) After the project is repaired, select "Upgrade project" in order to upgrade the project to ALM11.5x version
- The upgrade to ALM 11.5x is possible only from QC 10.0 or ALM 11.0. In order to upgrade to ALM 11.5x from an earlier version of QC (i.e. QC 9.2), the databases/schemas should be first upgraded to QC10.0 or ALM11.0 and then upgraded to ALM 11.5x. To find the steps for upgrading to ALM11.0, please follow below KB article:
Document ID KM1007069 - Upgrade from QC 9.2 or QC 10.00 to ALM 11
- It is highly recommended to try the migration process in a test environment first. If all goes as expected and the projects are upgraded successfully, the process can be performed in the production environment;
- Version Control (VC) enabled projects cannot be upgraded to ALM 11.5x while there are checked out entities. All entities must be checked in before the upgrade. In order to find out if there are checked out entites before the upgrade, please check the following KB article:
Document ID KM00470884 - How to find if there are checked out entities in a project before upgrade
- Upgrading from legacy version control projects. To work with projects from QC 9.x that use version control, they first need to be upgraded to QC 10.0, then the legacy version control data should be migrated and then the projects should be upgraded to ALM 11.5x. For more information on migrating legacy version control data to QC 10.0, please check the following KB article: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM632120
These documents may be useful:
Installation Guide ALM11.50_Installation.pdf
User Guide ALM11.50_User.pdf
Administrator Guide ALM11.50_Administrator.pdf
What is New ALM11.50_WhatsNew.pdf
Upgrade Best Practices ALM11.50_UpgradeBestPractices.pdf