To address these needs, there is a workaround to expose the repository's logical part. This can be done by using FTP protocol. Using a FTP client, it is possible to explore and perform actions on the repository when files structure remains the same as in QC10 and below.
We need to enable the FTP service from the Site Administration and Site Configuration page. We can follow these steps:
1. From Site Administration, go to the Site Configuration tab.
2. Add the parameter FTP_PORT with the value of the desired FTP port number.It is recommended to use port number 21 or 2121.
· Adding this parameter to a Site Admin will start the FTP server on the specified port.
· Changing this parameter, will restart the FTP server with the updated port.
· Deleting this parameter will stop the FTP server.
To connect to the FTP server, please enter the following data in any standard FTP client:
Host/Server/URL: machine name where your QC server resides
Port: port number that appears in FTP_PORT site admin parameter
User/Password: site admin user and password
First level of folders represent QC domains, second level represent QC projects.
Secure FTP (FTPS)
FTP server provides an option for secure connection using FTPS protocol. To use it, follow these steps:
- Create the keystore using keytool tool.
- Create sslkeystore.xml in the following format:
- <keystore file="c:\full path to\mykeystore.jks" password="secret"/>
- Put the sslkeystore.xml file in <DEPLOYMENT PATH>\application\qcbin.war folder and in <DEPLOYMENT PATH>\jboss\server\default\deploy\20qcbin.war folder
- Restart FTP server (either by restarting QC server or by deleting/changing FTP_PORT site admin parameter)
- In FTP client, select FTPS or SSL option and connect as usually. Make sure that FTPS is specified in the Host / Server column.
FTPS is supported on any OS supported by ALM server and the path syntax should be updated according to OS.
- Only "Smart Repository Projects" are displayed
- WinSCP FTP client is not supported
Q: Does operations on the files reflect in DB?
A: Yes, all the operations on the files, which made using FTP will be also reflected in the DB and optimized by "smart repository" feature.
Q: Is there a recommended FTP client?
A: Yes, the QA performed using few FTP clients such as: Filezila, Total Commander built in ftp client, FlashFXP. Of course if you get any problem using your favorite FTP client, please let us know.
Q: Can I define my own FTP user or use another QC user which is not QC Site Admin?
A: In the current version you can't. This feature, however, is in our plans for next version.
NOTE: FTPS is supported on any OS supported by ALM server and the path syntax should be updated according to OS